Sperling Hansen Family
Join our team
We’re always looking for new talent. Are you dedicated, hardworking, and fun? Let’s see if we’re a good fit.
Please send your resume to: Kathleen Hernandez
Progect Engineer - Bahamas
Senior Project Engineer – International & Caribbean Based Projects
Looking for a unique and challenging work opportunity in solid waste management, one that will take you to work sites across Canada and throughout the Caribbean, a job where your skills will make a big difference in people’s lives and environmental protection?
Sperling Hansen Associates, BC’s leading landfill engineering consultancy has an immediate full time opening for a highly skilled field engineer with proven solid waste management and landfill fire fighting experience to be based in our North Vancouver office, and to manage our Caribbean operations that are based in Nassau, Bahamas, with the flexibility to operate in additional Caribbean and international spaces.
As a senior project engineer you will assist in the design and project delivery of modern waste management infrastructure including transfer stations, compost facilities, scale facilities, and environmental upgrades at landfills that will include liners, leachate treatment systems, landfill gas utilization and energy recovery, progressive landfill closure and a large solar energy farms.
Working with our Vancouver based engineering team, you will assume responsibility for managing environmental projects in B.C. as well as the supervision of our long standing landfill engineering services contract with the NPEP Consortium in Nassau, Bahamas where SHA is the supervising engineer overseeing operation of a 250,000 tonne per year landfill facility and construction of several million dollars of capital works annually.
To be considered as a candidate for this challenging job you need to have a minimum of 5 years’ of landfill engineering and landfill operations experience, a proven capacity to manage technical teams and the capacity to make solid independent decisions on remote job sites.
As the ideal candidate, you will possess:
- An advanced university degree Master’s or Doctorate with thesis and research focus on landfill engineering topic is essential.
- SWANA Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) Certification.
- International (Bahamas, Canada, etc.) Project Experience;
- Qualify for A Bahamian Work Permit (candidates with Bahamian or dual Citizenship preferred);
- Landfill fire fighting experience and fire safety remediation and prevention training and requisite certification;
- Effective communication skills and willingness to serve as a project and community liaison as may be required;
- Project management experience on large civil construction projects;
- Procurement and Negotiation Skills applicable to the Caribbean sourcing market;
- A strong Civil, environmental, and Geotechnical engineering background and related work experience;
- Skilled in technical report writing and preparation of design reports and plans;
- Ability to pilot drone devices with requisite FAA – Remote Pilot certifications;
- Ability to process GPS and Drone survey data;
- Generation of accurate AutoCAD Civil 3D drawings, surfaces and volumes;
- Related work experience in the Caribbean and Florida;
- A Doctorate Degree with some focus on landfill management related techniques or theory a plus.
- Research on the long-term performance of liners as barriers in landfill applications and mitigation techniques to measure oxidation and reduce emissions and erosion, a plus;
- Contributed to the solid waste industry by producing research publications.
- Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) membership in specific Caribbean and US Regions, a plus.
Kindly submit your resume as a PDF file together with supporting documentation that illustrates your capacity in the above-referenced work.